Skip to Content
Select your booking type
General Public Funeral Directors
Additional online benefits to placing a notice for your loved one
Adding charitable donations
Adding charitable donations
Families can raise charitable donations in memory of their loved one with payments made directly to the charities.
Unlimited online photo gallery
Unlimited online photo gallery
Multiple photos can be added at point of booking and directly on the notice once it has been published for free.
Unlimited Tributes
Unlimited Tributes
Families, friends, neighbours, colleagues etc can pay tribute and messages of condolence online free of charge forever.
Sharing a loved ones Notice
Sharing a loved ones Notice
Families and friends can share via various social channels, one single share can go further than you think.

Finances after death

Main Banner
Share this article
Published 07/07/2020
If a will has been made
  • This should appoint an executor who must apply to the Probate Registry for a Grant of Probate, allowing this individual to deal with all of the deceased's assets.
  • As the freezing of assets can be an issue when arranging the funeral before the Grant of Probate has been issued, it's common practise that the bank may be release a small amount of money to the Next of Kin and Funeral Director to cover the cost of the arrangements.
  • A grant of probate may not be needed if the deceased’s assets are held in a shared a joint bank account with their spouse/civil partner, as in the result of their death their partner would become entitled to the entirety of that joint account by right of survivorship. Probate is also not required if the deceased assets are confined to Banks/ Building Society and contain less than £5000
If no will has been made
A person will be appointed as administer of the estate. This would usually be the deceased's next of kin or closest living relative. Once appointed the administrator must apply for a letter of administration allowing them to deal with the deceased's assets The order the responsibility falls on is as follows:
  • Spouse / Civil Partner.
  • Children over 18
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Half Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Uncles / Aunts
  • If the deceased has no surviving relative, the estate goes to the Crown.