Notices are changing daily, keep coming back to look for the latest updates or press 'notify me' on any notice & we'll let you know via email if anything is updated.
The First Few Days
If a loved one passes away at home. You should first contact their Doctor and nearest relative. The doctor will come to formally confirm the death. If it was expected and the cause is known, a medical certificate of Cause of Death will be issued. If the death was sudden or unexpected it may not be possible to establish the cause of death and will be referred to the Coroner who will investigate. During this time you would be unable to register the death but will be provided with an interim death certificate to allow you to proceed with the funeral arrangements


If a loved one passes away in Hospital. The Hospital will be able to offer support and guidance with the next steps that need to be taken including issuing the medical certificate. The body will be held in the hospital mortuary until arrangements are made with your funeral director.

If your loved one passes away abroad. The death will need to be confirmed by a local doctor who can issue a Medical Certificate. The document should be valid in the UK but may need to be translated. You should also register the death with the local British Consulate, they will be able to record the death in the UK and offer help and advice.